Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Day 1 Continued...

I made it through the rest of the day without mishap.  About 2hrs after lunch I felt hungry so I made some whole wheat toast with peanut butter and jam.  I've never had plain pb without additives like oil and sugar before.  I like it!  So I have to stir the peanut butter. Who cares.  It sure was tasty.  That little snack filled me up for 4 hours.

The boys threw me a curveball and requested that we have burgers tomorrow night and taco's tonight. No problem.  I had everything to make them and I went ahead with my original plan to eat a vegan burger.  I gotta tell ya, it didn't look that great while I was cooking it.  It smelled okay but seemed to be leeching some orange bubbles out of the patty.  I couldn't tell you what it was but I was hungry so I didn't let esthetics get in the way of my appetite.  I put the patty on a whole wheat bun and added mustard, a tomato and a dollop of Veganaise.  Talk about a party in your mouth!  It completely blew my tastebuds away!  Yes, that means it was really good :-)

I think the Veganaise deserves a paragraph all by itself.  If you have ever eaten real mayonaise, the thought of a substitute is a little revolting (to me anyway lol). However, I tasted a little bit before putting it on my burger and noticed absolutely no difference to the real stuff.  In fact, I felt a little spoiled while eating it because it tasted fattening.  I thought, "How on earth can I get away with this?"  Apparently I can. 

I must confess to counting points and calories at least twice today.  I stopped myself but I can see that this mindfulness of dieting is going to take some work to blast out of my brain.  I suppose that if I go overboard and eat like there's no tomorrow, I will pay for it with a few extra inches on my thighs.  I don't think that's possible however, on this plan.  I feel so full after eating that I don't feel like gorging.  In fact, I didn't even feel the overwhelming need for sugar.  I can't tell you how many times I have eaten a healthy meal only to have such a craving for sweets afterward that I blow my whole diet for that day.  Today was not one of those days.

So, I am having a cup of peppermint herbal tea tonight and then going to bed.  I feel full and satisfied. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad it's going well. What brand of veggie burger did you have? I like them all but Boca is the most meaty-tasting if that's what someone is looking for, a good choice for a person just starting out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I bought Boca. I'd heard alot about it before and thought I'd give it a try.

    ReplyDelete